Dental restorations are common procedures that help eliminate decay and restore the tooth, preventing reinfection. Porcelain onlays are popular restorations that are conservative and preserve most of the tooth structure.
A family dentist in Denver specializes in providing high-quality porcelain onlays to rejuvenate your oral health.
What is a porcelain onlay?
A porcelain onlay is a ceramic replacement for a severely damaged tooth. These restorations replace most of the biting surface of the tooth, including the chewing cusps. Porcelain onlays are a popular treatment option because they resemble the appearance of your natural tooth.
How does porcelain onlay help?
Porcelain onlays may be required in case of certain dental problems, such as:
- Broken teeth
- Severely decayed teeth
- Fractured teeth
- Broken fillings
- Large, unsightly fillings
- Cosmetic imperfections
What is the procedure for a porcelain onlay?
Here are the key steps to a porcelain onlay procedure:
- Your dentist will first prepare your affected tooth by removing any old fillings, dental caries, and the required amount of tooth structure.
- Several oral impressions will be taken and sent to the laboratory. Currently, digital scans are preferred.
- An appropriate shade will be chosen to fabricate your onlay to match your natural tooth.
- You will be provided a temporary filling to protect the tooth.
- About 2 to 3 weeks later, the temporary onlay will be removed, and you will be provided with a permanent porcelain onlay.
- Your dentist will make the necessary adjustments to ensure proper fit and aesthetics.
- High points will be checked to ensure your bite is comfortable.
- Finally, the permanent onlay will be bonded using appropriate dental cement.
What does post-procedure care involve?
To enhance the durability and longevity of your porcelain onlays, follow the below-mentioned instructions:
- Brush your teeth twice using fluoridated toothpaste
- Floss regularly
- Avoid sticky or chewy foods that can adhere to the onlay, increasing your risk of plaque accumulation
- Visit your dentist for regular exams once every 6 months
- Get professional cleaning every 6 months
- Avoid grinding or clenching your teeth. Your dentist should be informed about such habits for prompt treatment
What are the benefits of a porcelain onlay?
Porcelain onlays are increasing in popularity due to the following benefits:
- Blend with the natural tooth, giving an aesthetic appearance
- Lowers the risk of future decay
- Conservative procedure since it preserves most of the tooth structure
- Securely fit to the tooth surface
- Effectively enhances your chewing function
- Do not require replacement
- Durable and long-lasting
Porcelain onlays are an excellent alternative to dental crowns since they provide an array of benefits. These dramatically preserve your natural tooth structure, thereby enhancing your oral health.